Dozens killed as gang activity spreads to affluent neighborhoods in Haiti’s capital city.

. Dozens killed as gang activity spreads to affluent neighborhoods in Haiti’s capital city.

Armed attackers have targeted two affluent neighborhoods in the city of Port-au-Prince, Haiti, resulting in the deaths of at least 12 people in the nearby vicinity. This incident indicates that the ongoing rebellion by a gang, which led to the resignation of the prime minister, is still ongoing.

Before the sun rose on Monday, attackers burglarized houses in Laboule and Thomassin, causing residents to flee. Some individuals even reached out to radio stations, begging for the help of the police. Despite an increase in gang violence across Port-au-Prince since February 29th, these two neighborhoods had previously been mostly tranquil.

Following the incident, the lifeless forms of a minimum of twelve males were scattered throughout the roads of the neighboring Pétion-Ville.

There was a person lying on the ground with a deck of cards spread around them, and another was discovered inside a pickup truck called a “tap-tap” that functions as a taxi. At one of the locations, a woman fainted and had to be supported by others upon hearing that a family member had been slain.

“Stop this cruel treatment!” shouted a man standing nearby. “Wake up, people of Haiti!”

The recent attacks have caused worry that the ongoing violence will continue even after the prime minister, Ariel Henry, declared his intention to step down once a transitional presidential council was established. This decision was demanded by various gangs.

The appointment of the council has not yet taken place, as various political groups compete for influence and one group has completely rejected the proposed plan.

For an extended period of time, gangs have been against Henry, arguing that he was not chosen by the public and holding him accountable for worsening poverty. However, these armed groups have also faced allegations of attempting to gain control for themselves or for unknown Haitian officials.

The city was brought to a standstill when new assaults occurred towards the end of last week, including a fire at the primary jail which had been cleared of inmates just days prior, as well as an attack on the home of the chief of national police.

The power company of Haiti reported on Monday that four substations in the capital and other areas were destroyed and no longer functioning. This has caused power outages in several parts of Port-au-Prince, including the Cité Soleil slum, the Croix-des-Bouquets community, and a hospital.

The organization reported that criminals have also taken possession of significant papers, wires, converters, batteries, and other objects. In the meantime, the implementation of a United Nations-supported Kenyan law enforcement unit to combat gangs in Haiti has been postponed. The East African nation has announced that it will wait until the transitional council is formed.

Haiti’s government has declared that the current night-time curfew will be extended until March 20 in an attempt to reduce ongoing violence.

On Sunday, a flight organized by the government brought over 30 American citizens, who were escaping the turmoil, to Miami. This action was taken after the US embassy in Port-au-Prince advised American citizens to evacuate “immediately”.

Source: theguardian.com