Police reported that the Plymouth bomb, which was discovered, is set to be detonated either tonight or tomorrow. This news was shared as it unfolded.

Police reported that the Plymouth bomb, which was discovered, is set to be detonated either tonight or tomorrow. This news was shared as it unfolded.

The 500kg object was transported from Keyham to the Torpoint Ferry slipway on Friday evening. It was then brought to the sea and is anticipated to be exploded tonight or tomorrow morning.

  • After the 300m barrier around the disposal path was removed, thousands of individuals who were forced to leave their homes have been informed that they are able to go back to their residences.

  • Police cordoned off an area that included over 10,300 individuals and approximately 4,300 properties.

  • The bomb has been transported beyond the breakwater, according to Phil Williams, a Superintendent for the Devon and Cornwall Police. At approximately 5pm, it was loaded onto a boat from a military vehicle at the slipway.

  • The Ministry of Defence stated that it was one of the most significant peace-time evacuations in the UK since World War 2.

  • Plymouth Sutton & Devonport and the shadow armed forces minister, has paid tribute to the army and emergency services on X.

    Councillor Tudor Evans of Plymouth City Council expressed gratitude to the armed forces for their courage in successfully removing an unexploded bomb from a garden and disposing of it in the sea.

    He stated, “I believe it is safe to say that these past few days will be remembered in Plymouth’s history. The discovery of this war-time bomb has truly evoked a sense of unity and support among the people, and despite the challenges, we persevered.”

    I want to express my gratitude to the courageous individuals who specialize in handling explosives. They risked their lives to remove a WWII bomb from a garden in Keyham, carefully transporting it onto a truck, driving it slowly to the slipway, and then loading it onto a boat to be taken out to sea for a safe detonation. As a city with a strong naval presence, this serves as an excellent demonstration of the exceptional capabilities of our armed forces.

    I would also like to acknowledge all the other organizations that have shown exceptional community resilience and exemplified the true spirit of public service. Countless council employees joined forces with various organizations to provide support for the residents of Keyham and ensure the safety of our city.

    Lastly, I would like to express my gratitude to the residents of Keyham, Ford, and Devonport. The past few days have been filled with intense emotions, and I want to commend the community for their assistance in evacuating and aiding our efforts to safeguard their homes.

    “This is a memorable day that I will always cherish. I am filled with immense pride for Plymouth.”

    The bustling hub of activity at the biggest shipyard in western Europe.

    On Friday, the area fell into an unsettling stillness as over 10,000 individuals were forced to leave their homes and workplaces. The evacuation was necessary in order to safely remove a bomb dropped by the Luftwaffe during World War II, which had been buried in a backyard in Plymouth for 80 years.

    The police removed people from parks, ferry services were suspended, trains were stopped, and schools were closed as a military convoy slowly transported a 500kg bomb through the terraced streets that lead to the River Tamar.

    From that location, it was carefully transported by water to Plymouth Sound, passing Drake’s Island and the breakwater, in order to be exploded at a safe distance from the city’s streets.

    The residents near the backyard in Keyham had a content ending after enduring a challenging few days due to the discovery of a bomb.

    Cassie Dunton, an employee at a motorcycle shop near the dockyard, commented on the recent events, saying, “It’s been quite an interesting week, hasn’t it? It’s a bit unsettling to think about how many more bombs may be out there. But it’s heartwarming to see everyone coming together and supporting one another. This community is truly special. We take care of each other.”

    A male individual claimed that he, along with two companions, had ventured to Devil’s Point in Plymouth in an attempt to witness the removal and detonation of a bomb at sea.

    Adam informed BBC Radio Devon that since their arrival a few hours ago, the lighting conditions have significantly decreased, making it much more difficult to see.

    The military operation carried out by Devon and Cornwall Police has been confirmed as a success.

    National Rail has declared through their social media that train operations to and from Plymouth have resumed following the relocation of the explosive device into the water.

    Police chief superintendent Ian Drummond-Smith wrote on X said: “The bomb has gone to sea!

    “Gratitude to all for your understanding and positive attitude.”

    Source: theguardian.com